Dumpsters 101: A Crash Course
While throwing away trash might not seem like a very complicated process, doing so during a large-scale demolition or construction project can be rather difficult. Enlisting dumpster services from a local company can help you safely dispose of waste and debris; however, there are a few things dumpster renters should know prior to starting their project. Learn these dumpster rental tips to help prepare for your upcoming project.
How to Rent a Dumpster
The first step you’ll need to take when renting a dumpster is to reach out to a rental company that operates in your location. During your discussion, you must outline the specifics of your rental plan, so they know the details of the project. Before making a call, ensure you have the following information:
- The starting date of your dumpster rental and the length of time you intend to use it. Some companies can make date extensions available.
- How large you want your dumpster rental to be, which will vary based on the size and scope of your project and what material type you’ll discard into the dumpster.
- The specified location you want the dumpster rental to be dropped off at during the project.
How to Use a Rental Dumpster
Some roll-off dumpsters are built with an intricate locking system. To properly unlock the lock mechanism of a dumpster, lift up the safety latch and remove the safety chain; store the chain somewhere safe, so you do not lose it. Then lift up the lever of the dumpster and push the door open to begin discarding debris. Although different dumpster brands may have varying lock systems, the process remains similar throughout.
When you start your construction project, be mindful not to throw debris into the dumpster aimlessly. Take care to distribute the trash evenly throughout the dumpster, so you don’t create any hills. By doing so, you’ll be able to preserve space to fit more waste into your dumpster. Determining the best dumpster size for your project during the initial arrangements will help ensure you don’t run out of room too soon.
Where You Shouldn’t Place a Dumpster
During your planning stages, you must ensure that you do not place your dumpster rental in a location that inhibits the progress of your operation. If the position of the dumpster is blocking doorways, garage doors, and the end of the driveway, then it will become difficult for workers and vehicles to navigate the area. Also, be wary that the dumpster door doesn’t swing in a bad direction, such as the road, and that it is in a position where it can be quickly delivered and taken away by the rental company.
If there is not enough space on your driveway for your dumpster, you will have to find another location to place it. However, there are many places where you should not place a dumpster during a project. Follow these steps to learn where you should avoid positioning it:
- Place your dumpster on a flat surface instead of a sloped one. Although it might appear safe on a slope at first, the added weight from construction debris can cause it to slide. Frozen and icy grounds in the winter will make dumpsters even more prone to sliding away.
- Avoid placing dumpsters on soft ground. The weight of a dumpster can cause it to sink into the ground, damaging any plumbing, sprinklers, or other underground systems in the process.
- Your rental dumpster should remain on your property and not your neighbor’s; it can damage their lawn and obstruct their view. Additionally, putting a dumpster on a city street can block traffic and cannot be done unless you have a permit to do so.
How WRS Protects Your Driveway
Hiring a trustworthy dumpster rental company that prioritizes customer service will ensure that your construction or demolition project proceeds smoothly. If you’re looking for a dumpster rental in Woodbridge, NJ, that doesn’t force you to pay any hidden fees, then WRS Dumpster Rental is the best around! We offer consistent communication with our clients to provide them with the information they need to succeed.
Our dumpsters provide your project with a place to dispose of unneeded materials keeping your workspace safe and tidy. We also aim to respect the environment, so we go the extra mile to dispose of your trash safely. The next time you need a dumpster rental in Ocean City, MD, reach out to us for our professional help and affordable dumpster rental pricing!